DBT-Star College Scheme for strengthening of Life Science
and Biotechnology Education and Training at Undergraduate Level
Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, New Delhi had started a scheme for improving critical thinking and ‘hands on’ experimental work In the cutting edge-technologies needed for modern biological studies at undergraduate (college) level in life sciences. The scheme was started with a hope that as a result of such experiences, more students will take up life science as a career.
DAV College Jalandhar was selected under this scheme in 2009 with sanction order no. BT/HRD/11/010/2008 dated 06-03-2009.
Total grant received during the period of support (2009-2015):
Non Recurring grant : Rs. 30,00,000/-
Recurring grant : Rs. 59,26,631/-
Total : Rs. 89,26,631/
Six departments are covered under this scheme
- Department of Botany
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Physics
- Department of Food Science & Technology
Objectives of Star College Scheme:
- To strengthen the academic and physical infrastructure for achieving excellence in teaching and training.
- To enhance the quality of the learning and teaching process to stimulate original thinking through ‘hands–on’ exposure to experimental work and participation in summer schools.
- To promote networking and strengthen ties with neighboring institutions and other laboratories
- To conduct specialized training programmes for faculty improvement for optimizing technical capabilities
- To increase capabilities of core instrumentation resources by procuring new equipment and upgrading of existing facilities
- To provide access and exposure to students to research laboratories and industries in the country
- To help in devising standard curricula and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) / kits for practicals
- To provide better library facility to students and teachers